Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Summer Snow Day 3

Today Joe talked a lot about looking at the work of others, to make your own art better. So these are the Artists I looked up and what I like about them.

 Paul Soldner
"In the spirit of raku, there is the necessity to embrace the element of surprise. There can be no fear of losing what was once planned and there must be an urge to grow along with the discovery of the unknown. In the spirit of raku: make no demands, expect nothing, follow no absolute plan, be secure in change, learn to accept another solution and, finally, prefer to gamble on your own intuition. Raku offers us deep understanding of those qualities in pottery which are of a more spiritual nature, of pots by men willing to create objects that have meaning as well as function." (Soldner, 1973)

I like the way he talks about the process.  That you have to give up control.  I often struggle with giving up control.  OK I struggle with giving up control ALL THE TIME. But I'm working on it.

Chris Staley
Ok this video is it.  This video is everything I think about, but can't express.


  I love at the end how he says: "You will remember drinking out of this cup"
Love it!

George Ohr

Seriously this guy was a trip.  He was the self proclaimed "Mad potter of Biloxi".  I love looking at his portraits and his work.  He kind of flew in the face of the establishment, but his work is so beautiful, and he did what he wanted.  I like that.



Bernard Leach

This name inspires awe in me. "Every Movement, is frozen music" with an emphasis on simple Utilitarian forms, and a crazy work ethic, also a passion for teaching, he is my Hero. 


 Here is a small bit from video on Leach.


No comments:

Post a Comment