Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer Snow day 2

"Crafts have a beauty born of use, without use there is no beauty in craft." Soetsu Yonagi the unknown craftsman.

 Today we made these brilliant little batter bowls and discussed the logistics of pouring vessels.
(The white one in the center.)
 We also discussed process vs. products. Is the Point of my work just the outcome, or am I taking joy in the journey.

 In the book "The Doing of the Thing: The Brief, Brilliant Whitewater Career of Buzz Holstrom." He Talks about the joy of the journey, and once the journey is over, the end, is the least exciting part.

 Sometimes, I think I am so focused on getting a good result that I rush to the kiln, instead of reveling in the process.
 Leaving evidence of the process, 
referencing the process in everything I do.
 "Points of Grace; The little things left by hand, that cannot be duplicated by machine." Tom Marsh

 My homework from today was to watch "The Potters Meal" on youtube. It is a special done on Joe Bennion, back in the 80's. He talks a lot in this movie about his inspiration and process, it was really cool and a really good watch if you've got 25 minutes.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Revisited

No comments:

Post a Comment