Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cups, Ding, and Baker

On Saturday, Nick wanted to go out in the garage and watch me throw, so I obliged, but it ended up being me throwing and him working on his truck, which is ok.

Nothing gets me going like some good old fashioned production.  So I started with 6 cups.
This is the motif I was working on at my workshop, (the ones that got ruined).
 A Ding is a ceremonial Chinese vessel on 3 legs, traditionally they can have lids, or not.  My Professor Susan Harris at SUU made amazing dings.
This one did not start so well.  I thought maybe I could use the Knob forms I have been throwing, as feet, but I hate it.  LIKE HATE IT!!  I think they kind of look like udders.
So I fixed it. Today I chopped off the udders and added conical shaped feet, and I like it much better.  It also mirrors the Sprigs I attached to the front.
 This is a large Square baker.  I picture delicious lasagnas, cool shaped loafs of bread, breakfast cakes, and casseroles.  It should shrink to between 7-8 inches square.  It is at about 10 right now.
I enjoyed having Nick in the Garage with me while I worked, and while I was finishing yesterday Cooper was out with me.  He loves to catch the trimmings in long ribbons.


No comments:

Post a Comment